Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Silence & Noise

Blogging is new for me. I am not used to saying things into the void filled with almost infinite eyes and ears attached to folks I do not know. Indeed, I have followed many blogs and found the replies and comments to be very uneven, divided between people who are very full of themselves and often two cents that are hard to add up. While the universe exposed in a blog is huge, it isn't really a dialog that I think of as an exchange between people you know and who you have learned to understand. Replies on most blogs vary with each posting and reposting is not that common. So one is exposed to much more than one might originally have conceived, and that is good. But it is also time consuming and even distracting to pay attention to all the comments. I should have such problems.

The fact a blog isn;t quite the traditional dialog is not exactly a red herring as in dialoging with people you know there are etiquettes and ways of avoiding or mentioning things that are different than with a complete stranger. So I don't quite see blogging as the usual idea of communication: something between broadcasting and salesmanship, not friendship. Not necessarily bad, just different and a new reality to creatively adapt to. So much depends on who is participating.

With all these anxieties and reservations, here it is. I have no idea how or why anybody might read this, let alone what comments I might get. Topics with other focus will have to wait subsequent postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment